Watch this. But wait for some quiet, uninterrupted time. Preferably at night. And it’s best if you’re alone. Those were the circumstances when I first ran across this creepy, artful short from Irish filmmaker Lorcan Finnegan.
Oh, and full-screen it of course. Always.
My Twitter review of IT FOLLOWS is coming. For you. In a straight line. Relentlessly. And it will never stop. OK, that’s a lie. It’s actually just 6 tweets long. So it’ll all be over soon. Not super-spoilery, but if you don’t want to know anything about IT FOLLOWS… don’t read any further. Duh.
#ItFollows is low-budget horror, faithful to the genre. A cast of unknown teens vs a supernatural killer. Sex & slaughter.
2. Sex/violence was always linked in slasher flicks. But (spoiler?) IT FOLLOWS cleverly makes the link explicit, causal: do it, you die
3. IT FOLLOWS is scored w/buzzy analog synths ala John Carpenter. Old cars, nondescript clothes evoke a timeless is-it-now-or-80s? vibe
4. After the theatrical run they really should release IT FOLLOWS on VHS.
5. IT FOLLOWS is self-aware horror. But unlike, say, CABIN IN THE WOODS, it doesn’t feel superior to its genre. It’s not snarky. It’s sincere.
6. -and goofy, and illogical, but all-in. COMMITTED. And yeah, well-made enough to be pretty scary at times. And ultimately kind of adorable.