- Experimental doc shot on fishing boat. Wanted to love it: trailer riveting. Promised an aesthetic experience the film fell short of.*
- With no narration or a single title card to orient you LEVIATHAN is resolutely anti-narrative. Gotta admire its purity.
- There are moments: some breathtaking, some verging on pure abstraction, some so grotesque they might put you off fish for a while.
- The footage would edit down to a terrific 15 minute short.
- But incredibly long, underlit takes & obtuse framing/sound (none of the fishermen are mic’d) ultimately feels like “fuck you” filmmaking
- If you can endure darkness, boredom, and motion sickness, LEVIATHAN (or, actually working on a fishing boat) might be for you!
I’m @giantspecks on Twitter.
* Preposition, I know. Should be “…fell short of delivering.” Forget it Jake, it’s Twitter.